- SHOPPING- from the finest malls to Home Depot, the Rio Grande Valley has it all. And
many love to cross over to Progresso, Mexico for a day of shopping and dining.
- GOLF- there are many beautiful and
challenging golf courses within thirty miles of Valley Gateway RV Park.
- COASTAL ACTIVITIES- from deep sea fishing
in nearby Port Mansfield to the 26 acre Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark south of the Queen Isabella Causeway, the Gulf Coast
offers water activities for all.
- BIRDING- one of the premier birding hotspots in the country, if not the number one
hotspot, is the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. This special place plays host, or has played host- in the same sense of vagrants,
to an incredible variety of bird species, 485 to be exact.
- HIDALGO COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM- excellent interpretation
of the Hispanic accented area's colorful history; includes pioneer ranch and home items,clothing,early documents and photos.
It is housed in the restored county jail.
- GLADYS PORTER ZOO- with more than 1,500 animal specimens, the Glady's Porter
Zoo ranks as one of the premier zoos in the world. It is less than an hour away in Brownsville.
- IWO JIMA MEMORIAL-fashioned
from a photo of U.S.Marines planting the flag on Iwo Jima, this was the original statue used to cast the more famous monument
in Arlington, VA. It is located in Harlingen, only thirty minutes from Valley Gateway.
- BIG VALLEY RACEWAY- Drag racing
every other Saturday, Feb. - Nov., just five miles south of Valley Gateway on Hwy. 281.
- BLOODLESS BULLFIGHTS- just
a short drive to La Feria is one of the best kept secrets of the Rio Grande Valley, a bloodless bullfight ring. The bullfighters
cape the bulls and go through their ceremonial routines, but the bulls are not harmed in any way.
- LA LOMITA MISSION-
built in 1865 by the Obalte Fathers, the little adobe chapel still stands next to the Rio Grande, south of the city of Mission
that was named for it.